Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

illegal sublet - been fighting but am about to go under

Posted by David on November 14, 2000 at 21:46:48:

First, discovered I was being overcharged and taken advantage of (providing storage, pet car, sanitation services, & more) in a Manhattan sublet (rent stabilized). Then discovered uncountable lies, a faked sublease and cover up attempts... (all fully documented in writing.) I tried to work it out personally and was then slandered and threatened with a lawyer (at the time a lie.) (Are you sensing that the wretch is not too bright?) Unfortunately, she's so stupid she's dangerous. After her threat, I filed with a lawyer (and I can't tell if they're doing a good job and I just don't get litigation, or they're just not doing their job.) And to add a little spice - and stress - I also have a seemingly underhanded, but could just be a dolt, roomate helping her to screw things (namely: me) up.

The original landlord died before I could speak with him (trying as I was, idiot, to solve it in a "friendly" way.) I finally got info. on the new landlord - an out of town partner and he's filing charges also. Now, she's threatened bogus charges against me in order to have leaverage... "you drop yours, I'll drop mine."

It's a long, twisted story.

Now, I've been approved for another (much less interesting) apt. in Brooklyn and this landlord has offered me the current apartment at a much reduced rate (lease overturn, renovate, etc... +$800, but still a better palce to be than than the other.) But, it will take (naturally) a while for the paperwork because of the legal stuff. This sort of stuff has been going, intensely, since May. So, I'm a little gun shy at this point and afraid to take any chances that I'll end up on the street soon.

You think this is confusing; you should hear the whole story. I don't even know what I'm asking at this point, but I have to come up with the answer in 5 days. So, anyone inspired with words of wisdom or experienced opinions? Should I stay? Should I go? Should I drop the case? Should I fight? Drop the lawyer? Write a screenplay? Leave the state?

any thoughts welcome-
David

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name