Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Move out, but consider all that's available too.

Posted by David on November 15, 2000 at 23:52:34:

In Reply to: Move out, but consider all that's available too. posted by Ken on November 14, 2000 at 23:53:08:

Hey Ken. Thanks for the response.

My problems are with the prime (over) tenant who involved me in an illegal sublet which I only found out about by accident. She went through the trouble of submitting a fake sublease, and I never got to see the allowable rent until official paperwork was slipped under the door one day. I have also had trouble when trying to gather information to discover what was going on with the original landlord, who has since died, and his partner has stepped in... who seems like a very nice and upstanding man. However, I hardly trust my own mother these days. I've been looking for apartments for months, but being from out of state with this my only NY rental history, it's not easy. Fortunately I have excellent references. Otherwise I'd be dead in the water. My parents, my only legitimate co-signers are Texans... which means they aren't legitimate co-signers because no one will accept TX, FL and I forget the other states because of personal property laws that make you untouchable or something like that. So, it hasn't been quick, or easy. I was finally approved for an apt. in Brooklyn on the same day I finally got to meet the new landlord who said he will take legal action and evict the current tenant and offered the apt. to me... at an increased rate. Almost twice the Brooklyn apt., though it is currently just under the Brooklyn apt. rent. I would rather be in Manhattan and the thought of not moving after all this and living from boxes the last four months sounds great. But, the legal paper work can't happen before I have to accept or decline the Brooklyn apt. And I'm not feeling too lucky right now and am afraid to put my trust in the new landlord and situation. The other reason I would like the apartment is on principal. I want to be certain that she loses the apt. and that it isn't turned over to my roommate (her former roommate) who has been helping her in her deceptions and manipulations... who I'm sure would accept her back into the apt. as a roommate. She's going to get off scott free for not just an illegal action which is offensive enough, but one which I find to be particularly repugnant... both the crime itself and her particularly miserable pursuit of it.

-DF

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name