Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Move out, but consider all that's available too.

Posted by Ken on November 16, 2000 at 00:39:07:

In Reply to: Re: Move out, but consider all that's available too. posted by David on November 15, 2000 at 23:52:34:

Hi Dave
Sorry to hear all that you've been through. You should know that you are entitled to sue the primary tenant for recovery of her rent-overcharges. However, whether you want to become embrioled in such litigation, and whether you have a chance of collecting on a judgement against her, are two things that you will have to consider. Your landlord can sue the primary tenant for eviction based on non-residency or illegal sublet, that is a long process for him to do.

I can tell you about New York. Living in the outer boros often makes sense. Not as many people look out there, so the rents are often lower. I don't know what type of apartment you are looking for. But I can tell you that there are plenty of studios and 1BRs available in private homes and buildings in neighborhoods like Astoria, Queens or Sunnyside, Queens for a LOT less than you are paying (take the 7 train out ... the rents go down with each stop you take). Aggresively start looking...talk with brokers...read the classifieds in the Sunday NY Times, Loot, Village Voice ...you will find something good.

Regarding the Brooklyn apartment, and your landlords offer, I really can't tell you one way or another. My best advice is to consider that apartment along with other apartments. You don't want to be "desperate" when you rent a place in NYC, as you know.

Best of regards --- be positive things will get better !

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name