Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: illegal sublet - been fighting but am about to go under

Posted by Dawn on November 16, 2000 at 14:07:24:

In Reply to: illegal sublet - been fighting but am about to go under posted by David on November 14, 2000 at 21:46:48:

It's a bit confusing, but I've always been a staunch supporter of keeping a paper trail -- if you have copies of everything you've mentioned in here, I'd take her to court. If you can discreetly tape her threatening you, then you can add that to your evidence pile. The new landlord doesn't care who is who, as long as the rent to him is paid so if she's the sole tenant of the apartment, then she has the right to keep the place. On the other hand, if the new landlord didn't know she was subletting, then she would get booted out right along with you. Seems she's leaving a trail of lies. It's all a very stressful environment to live in. I would take her to court for any extra money she was trying to get from you, if that was a rent stablized apartment. Again, you must have the paperwork to back it up. You also mentioned signing something for her -- if she's that low, she could reprint your signature onto an "agreement" to keep herself in the clear.

As far as being in New York, trust is something you build, you don't automatically give it to someone. It doesn't mean approaching everyone as guilty til proven innocent, it just means to be aware and get to KNOW a person first before you decide on doing anything. I have never been to Texas, but then again, I don't see a lot of people running off to Texas as much as they do to New York City. YOU came to New York City and I hope that if you do decide to stay here, that you chalk this one up to a learning experience and move on with your life and grow because of it. Take care.

: First, discovered I was being overcharged and taken advantage of (providing storage, pet car, sanitation services, & more) in a Manhattan sublet (rent stabilized). Then discovered uncountable lies, a faked sublease and cover up attempts... (all fully documented in writing.) I tried to work it out personally and was then slandered and threatened with a lawyer (at the time a lie.) (Are you sensing that the wretch is not too bright?) Unfortunately, she's so stupid she's dangerous. After her threat, I filed with a lawyer (and I can't tell if they're doing a good job and I just don't get litigation, or they're just not doing their job.) And to add a little spice - and stress - I also have a seemingly underhanded, but could just be a dolt, roomate helping her to screw things (namely: me) up.

: The original landlord died before I could speak with him (trying as I was, idiot, to solve it in a "friendly" way.) I finally got info. on the new landlord - an out of town partner and he's filing charges also. Now, she's threatened bogus charges against me in order to have leaverage... "you drop yours, I'll drop mine."

: It's a long, twisted story.

: Now, I've been approved for another (much less interesting) apt. in Brooklyn and this landlord has offered me the current apartment at a much reduced rate (lease overturn, renovate, etc... +$800, but still a better palce to be than than the other.) But, it will take (naturally) a while for the paperwork because of the legal stuff. This sort of stuff has been going, intensely, since May. So, I'm a little gun shy at this point and afraid to take any chances that I'll end up on the street soon.

: You think this is confusing; you should hear the whole story. I don't even know what I'm asking at this point, but I have to come up with the answer in 5 days. So, anyone inspired with words of wisdom or experienced opinions? Should I stay? Should I go? Should I drop the case? Should I fight? Drop the lawyer? Write a screenplay? Leave the state?

: any thoughts welcome-
: David

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name