TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

no renewal lease

Moderator: TenantNet

no renewal lease

Postby tarrytown » Tue May 11, 2004 5:00 pm

I live in an apartment (that is part of a house; there are 4 apts in it) and the lease is up at the end of the month. I have not receieved a renewal lease from the landlord, and I was wondering if it is legal for him to wait to give us this information. Shouldn't I have receieved something from him in the mail by now? He can't tell us on, say, May 30th that there will be a huge increase in the rent and expect me to either comply or move out right away, can he? I know there are other posts like this on the NYC forum, but I don't know if things are different for New York City than they are here (westchester, non rent controlled apartment).
tarrytown

Re: no renewal lease

Postby Anna » Wed May 12, 2004 8:37 am

If the apt is not rent-regulated, the only rights to renewal are in your lease: what does it say?

However, yor LL may not be able to increase the rent unless he serves a proper one-month notice: RPL 232-b: Google-search that from http://tenant.net and read the info sheets and Housing Court Decisions.

Real Property Law Sec. 232-b. Notification to terminate monthly tenancy or tenancy from month to month outside the city of New York.

A monthly tenancy or tenancy from month to month of any lands or buildings located outside of the city of New York may be terminated by the landlord or the tenant upon his notifying the other at least one month before the expiration of the term of his election to terminate; provided, however, that no notification shall be necessary to terminate a tenancy for a definite term.
Anna

Return to NYS General Discussion