TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

JULIE's LAW....GET IS PASSED!!!!!

Moderator: TenantNet

JULIE's LAW....GET IS PASSED!!!!!

Postby stevied » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:42 pm

My friend and I have had nothing but bad landlords!

As soon as you tell the landlord to fix a problem, the landlord tells you to MOVE OUT! We want to get JULIE's LAW passed in NY STATE.

It would be for all landlords outside of NY City.
Here's the skinny....Landlords would have to be licensed every year, pay $25 to the STATE (per year). Every licensed landlord would have a license #, they would have to post that # in any ad in any media (newspaper, internet, etc...), landlords would have to take a three hour course every 5 years to get the facts on landlord/tenant laws, tenants could view each license # on the internet to makesure it's a valid #, any complaints vs the landlord would be available on the internet, every apartment/or house available for rent has to be inspected by the STATE, has to have a stove, bathroom, refrig/freezer and detectors in good working order. Apartments/house has to be free of rodents. Proper heating. All apartments have to have proper soundproofing!

Did you ever have to call the police on a landlord? One cop will tell you one thing and an other cop will tell you something different.

I believe this law would cut down most cop calls for landlord/tenant issues. Cops should be doing more important things.

In my dealings with landlords, you get a husband & wife looking to make a little cash. They look at a spare room or empty basement and say to each other...let's make some $$$$ and rent it out. They have no knowledge of landlord/tenant laws & they don't care. All they see are the $$$$ signs.
If the heat does not work right, you complain to them, they tell you to move out. It's a landlords market out here.

Stop the abuse from landlords. Call the NY STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL...we want JULIE's LAW in NY STATE!

Thank you.
stevied

Return to NYS General Discussion