TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can someone answer this question?

Moderator: TenantNet

Can someone answer this question?

Postby tadgher99 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:42 pm

The building complex where I lived charged me $1500 a month for rent with utilities included. All the apts in the buildings had always been with electric included. The management then decided that they were going to install meters and start charging us for utilities. One of the main attractions to living there when I moved in 4yrs ago was utilities included in rent. It was not economical any longer and it is not what I signed my lease for in the first place. I then gave the management two months notice that I would vacate the apt on 06/29/05. I gave them the keys on 6/29/05 and left them the security as I did not have the energy to fight them for it. I have friends in the building right across the hall from my old apt so have been visiting constantly since I left and have seen them renovating my old apt. Now, I get a letter 4 months later asking for $3000 for two months that they had not rented the apt! They said that they rented the apt as of Oct 05 (my lease was to expire in Nov 05); however, had they not been renovating an already beautiful apt they would have rented it much earlier! They want me to pay rent for the months they were renovating the apt!! They would have had to do so anyways if they felt it was needed after my lease expired. That is besides the point though, I left because they started charging for utilities which was not as it was when I came to live there. What do you think out there? Thanks!!
tadgher99

Re: Can someone answer this question?

Postby Aubergine » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:45 pm

When did they start charging for utilities, or say they were going to do so? During your last lease term, or after it ended?
Aubergine

Postby Downtown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:11 am

If your lease was still in effect with utilities included, then LL (even with individual meter) would have been responsible to pay utilities until new lease. You didn't need to break lease, simply enforce what was in it.
That said, LL would have to show a good faith effort to rerent. You gave notice and forfeited deposit....more than sufficient time to find new tenant. You are not responsible to pay rent while apt. is renovated.
Write LL letter (send RRR) stating that no further rent is owed on Apt #. Notice was given on date. Keys accepted on date. Security deposit has yet to be returned. LL created this situation by breaking the terms of your lease. Further, LL chose to do renovations instead of re renting.
You expect full return of security deposit of $___. Any further demand for rent will leave you no choice but to hire an atty. and attach legal fees.
Downtown

Postby BronxRenter » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Is this a Home Properties Incorporated complex?

If so they have a history and almost corporate policy of changing the provisions of leases whenever they feel like it.
BronxRenter

Return to NYS General Discussion