TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I need to inspect tenant apartments

Moderator: TenantNet

I need to inspect tenant apartments

Postby MrCoffee » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:49 pm

Hi,

I'm a new home owner and I need to go into each tenants apartment to visually inspect them to verify what condition the apartments are in. None of the current tenants have security deposits and if I ask them to move out I want to be able to document the condition of the apartments.

How many days notice do I need to give?
MrCoffee

Re: I need to inspect tenant apartments

Postby Aubergine » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:59 am

This is TENANT.net, not LANDLORD.net. There are other forums and resources for landlords out there.

In any event, documenting the present condition of an already-occupied apartment is pointless because you don't know what the condition of the apartment was when it was rented. Your tenants may have repaired or replaced any number of things since they moved in. Unless you can document the conditions at the time the tenant moved in, you will have no basis for claiming damage beyond normal wear and tear.

If you insist on inspecting the apartments, give one week's notice and ask for a mutually agreeable time for access to be arranged. Almost no one will argue that that is unreasonable.
Aubergine

Postby Downtown » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:25 am

All your posts sound like your sole purpose is to forget the tenants and push your own agenda to kick them out.
As posted, you have no way to prove any damage was not already present. Since you are planning on kicking them out why bother.
Downtown

Postby Anna » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:28 am

Cof, a new LL, posted three threads; TN closed one, my reply to all = here:
http://www.tenant.net/.WWW/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001489
Anna

Postby HardKnocks » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:10 am

Perhaps this LL simply wants to know how he can regain his property (which he does have the right to do, and it doesn't make him evil) while properly retaining his tenants' legal rights. In which case I think it's OK to answer his questions, even though he is a LL.

Although I've only ever had ONE in my life, I have to believe that there are some decent LLs out there. Maybe this is one of them. :eek:
HardKnocks

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:23 am

Just to extend the thought here, although his intentions are otherwise clear. But in some cases an inspection to document conditions might be a prelude to fixing and repairing. Probably not, but stranger things have happened.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion