TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord won't renew lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

landlord won't renew lease

Postby KLEDNYC » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:15 pm

I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment on the top floor that has been leaking from the roof during heavey rainstorms. the landlord put in a quick fix and now it only leaks in one bedroom. He has decided not to renew our lease saying he wants to fix the roof properly and needs tthe apartment vacant to do that. We paid a $4800 broker fee and thought we could stay as long as we paid the rent. Can he do this. Where can we find our rights? Is it worth is to fight him? We can't really afford to move and pay another broker fee.
The apartment is not rent controlled or stabilized.
KLEDNYC

Re: landlord won't renew lease

Postby Chimera » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:16 pm

Sorry, LLs of non-regulated apartments can choose not to renew your lease each time it comes up. Why not work out a deal where you allow him to fix your roof while you are still living there? Even if you pay a reduced rent during the contruction period, at least he'd be getting something instead of nothing. It's a worth a shot to ask.
Chimera

Postby jot0n0 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:20 pm

For free-market apts, LL can elect not to renew lease upon expiration, unlike a rent-stabilized unit where renewal offer are mandatory.

Depending on the extend of the roof repairs, I don't know if you want to be living there while the work is done. It may require cutting out sections of the roof and contractor probably need the apt to store their supplies and equipment.

<small>[ June 10, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: John ]</small>
jot0n0

Postby KLEDNYC » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:01 pm

Would it make a difference if the apartment was rent stabilized and how do you find out? I assumed it wasn't because the rent is $3000 but it is an old building in Tudor City and some people on the floor are paying $500 a month. Is it apartment by apartment or by building?
KLEDNYC

Postby Chimera » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:29 pm

Apartments are stabilized, not buildings. If yours is renting for 3000 it's possible that is was de-regulated.
Chimera

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:40 am

Call DHCR and ask them if the apartment i stabilized. As Chimera said, it's possible the apartment has been deregulated. On the other hand, it's also possible you're being overcharged.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments