TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What are my rights?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

What are my rights?

Postby graylady » Sun May 04, 2003 1:45 pm

OK I need advice. I have lived in my building for 15 years and only had a lease the very first year that I lived here in 1988. In the past 15 years my landlords only raised my rent $100, until last week. Our building is now a "corporation" and our rent was increased by 25%. So over the years we have always written checks in the owners name, now we right them to the corporation. In the past year their 25 year old recently married son has moved in upstairs and completely gutted out his place and renovated it. I can't even get them to replace a 30 year old refrigerator and stove top or a cracked window. My roommate and I pay $1600, now it will go to $2000 as of July 1st. I think we should now ask for a lease because who knows what she or the son might do in the coming months with all of these building owner cost increases. I have always prided myself on the fact that I am on a trust basis with my landlords and I know they like me being here, but will I be shooting myself in the foot by asking for a lease? We have cats and have for years, what if she says that we can't have cats in the lease? I would like to find out my rights anyway as far as living in this building for x amount of years with no lease. We pay month to month and there are less than 6 dwellings. Does anyone have advice? Thanks

<small>[ May 04, 2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: graylady ]</small>
graylady

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments