TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

New roommate, new lease and service problems

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

New roommate, new lease and service problems

Postby paul749 » Tue May 06, 2003 10:01 pm

I have lived in a Chelsea two bedroom for 7 years. Actually it used to be two seperate one bedroom apartments that were joined during my occupancy by the landlord -- long story. Basically there are two entrances, two bedrooms, two baths, two livingrooms all joined by one kitchen.

When I moved into the apartment (my individual one bedroom) the landlord painted it.

My current roommate has moved out and the lease expires in one month. I have a new roommate entering. My landlord has agreed to settle up any security deposit issues with the old roommate for any damage to his side of the apartment and enter into a completely new lease with me and my new roommate. The issues are:

My landlord refuses to paint the side of the apartment vacated by my roomate. Is the landlord required to do so?

There is water damage in my bedroom and the opposite side living room. Is the landlord required to fix this?

My side as seperate heater units in the living room and bedroom. The bedroom has been broken since November 2002. The landlord has promised numerous times to fix it but never has. Is there any recoure for this?

Should I address this before I sign a new lease? Am I at any risk of not getting a new lease if I make a big complaint about this before I sign a new lease?

The landlord agreed to allow my new roommate to have a pet. If I make a big deal about this before signing a new lease, can the landlord change thier position on allowing the pet?

Thanks for any help.
Paul
paul749

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments