TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Is my Apartment Rent Stabilized??

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Is my Apartment Rent Stabilized??

Postby Megs3180 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:17 pm

As I posted on the General Discussion Board, my apartment was flooded on Sunday night. Most of our apartment is damaged. Earlier this week, my lawyer wanted me to call the DHCR to see if my apartment is rent stabilized. I thought it wasn't, because I do not remember signing anything that said my apartment was rent stabilized when I signed the lease. To my surprise, when I called the DHCR, they said my apartment is rent stabilized. Anyway, I called them yesterday just get some more information while I was not so shocked and the guy from the DHCR told me my apartment is NOT rent stabilized, because we moved in after 2000 (I think that is what he said), but our landlord filed our apartment as being stabilized. I asked him what this means and he said it means that my landlord is stupid...lol. I already know that, but I want to know how this affects me. Also, the guy I spoke to on Thursday was very insistant that my apartment is stabilized to the point where he was downright rude about it. So, basically I am being told two different things by the DHCR. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here or how this affects me?? I asked my lawyer about this and he said he has no idea. I looked at an exact example of the lease I signed that was given to by my broker (mine was destroyed in the flood and a new copy has been requested). It doesn't say it is a rent stabilized lease. On the other hand, it doesn't say that it is.
Today, in the mail, I got the rent history of my apartment from DHCR. First of all, all four tenants that have lived in this apartment (including the the tenant before me) has been rent stabilized according to the DHCR. So, why am I not?? Second, with the exception of a tenant that lived in this apartment for ten years, all the tenants before me were paying more in their pref rent the I do. Does this mean that my rent could increase to match their pref rent??

Thanks,
Megan
Megs3180

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments