TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sublet Confusion

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Sublet Confusion

Postby SNAP » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:20 am

I requested to sublet my apartment a while ago, and the landlord never responded to the request in writing. After more than 40 days from the date I sent the letter, he finally contacted me, verbally, to say that he needed to ask his lawyer some questions and that he would get back to me. Still he never denied or accepted the sublet. But he said he wanted to meet the proposed subtenants. At the meeting with the subtenants, he asked if I had any questions for him. I said "I thought you had questions." And he said that he didn't, but wanted to know if there were any repairs that needed to be made. So I asked if the apartment could be painted (as it hadn't been painted in over 5 years) and he said he would do it. But now he is refusing to paint because he claims he still hasn't spoken to his lawyer (it is now 3 months from the date of the sublet request and the tenants moved in on June 1st). What gives? I have contacted a tenant lawyer and I'm going to have him look over my paperwork and then write a letter to the LL. Anyone have any other advice? Many thanks!
SNAP

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments