TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease renewal. Need advise!

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease renewal. Need advise!

Postby ssergey » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:38 pm

My lease expired in August, but my landlord didn't send me renewal, so last 3 month i was paying on the month by month basis. October 24th he sent me the new lease with the term starting at November 1st. I know i have at least 60 days to think about this. But if i agree to renew the lease when should i start paying the increased rent? From November 1 as it's stated on the lease or 60 days from the day i received it? Another question. Old lease was for 1 year, the new one is for 2. I don't really want 2 years lease. Is it legal to change the term on the lease? :confused:
ssergey

Re: Lease renewal. Need advise!

Postby consigliere » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:10 pm

See Lease Renewal Disputes: A Guide, by William Rowen.

Also see Rent Stabilization Code (RSC) §2523.5(c)(1) for more information.
consigliere

Re: Lease renewal. Need advise!

Postby geoffnet » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:08 pm

You should only pay the increase either 60 days from when you receieved it (especially if you can prove when you received it, i.e.a postmark or date on the cover letter etc) or 90 days, I'm not sure which, but I'm pretty certain it's 90 days (that's the minimum of when you should have received it before it expired), but if you want to be safe then start 60 days after you received it. Again, be ready to be able to prove it if you don't want to pay the increase.
geoffnet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments