TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security deposit statement

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Security deposit statement

Postby tripleoxygen » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:32 pm

Starting a new thread with this new subject. Brief background: I was illegally overcharged two months of security (but more than 4 years ago), and have waited over 60 days since move-out to get info on my deposits.

Today I received a letter from LL saying I would be getting none of my $1825 returned, including a statement of the following charges (bear in mind that this apt. is 150 sq feet--a small room):

Roof
- Removed all trash from roof and furniture
- Prepared roof for a new roof (??)
- Put in new roof
Labor and materials: $1,300
Inside
- Put in a new parka floor
Labor and materials $1,300
- Scrap, plaster, and paint the whole apartment $600
- Put in two new doors for bathroom and closet and put new locks and hinges
Labor and materials $300
- New toilet $75
- Ragout whole bathroom $60
- Clean up the whole apartment - Free

Total: $3,485

Now, obviously you don't know me or my character, but I can assure you that I did not destroy the property in any way as indicated by these charges, as I was rarely at the apartment. Re-plastering walls would lead one to believe that I put holes in the wall, which wasn't the case.

As I was in this apt. for 5 years, it seems to me that they are charging for upgrades to the apartment which LL's expect to make between tenants. IMO, these are blatant overcharges. I did no damage to floors, walls, to roof (previous tenant before me had furniture out there, I did not use).

If I file small claims court, I have no photos to back anything up, plus the LL could end up counter-suing which would really be disastrous for me.

The fact that this landlord was shady and sneaky enough to charge 2 months security really substantiates to me these charges. Can't stress enough the important of PHOTOS.

I want to write letters to the tenants in the building telling them to look at what they paid as deposit and sue if they were overcharged.

I hope this story is helpful to others.
tripleoxygen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments