TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Getting security deposit back-NYC//mice

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Getting security deposit back-NYC//mice

Postby tripleoxygen » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:30 pm

I lived in a NYC studio for 5 years and paid security deposit plus last month's rent up front, total $1850. I was a good tenant all in all.

With 2 months left on my lease, this past April, I provided written notice of more than 30 days to my landlord that I planned to move out, to which they replied sure, we'll find a new tenant. So they found a new tenant to move in immediately after I moved out. I sent my landlord a letter and provided a forwarding address to where they could send back my security and last month rent deposits. I spoke with the broker for the building and asked about getting my deposits back and she said no problem, probably within 30 days.

It's now been a month and a half and I'm starting to worry that they'll somehow find ways to 'spend' my deposits or keep them. Against me is that I did break my lease 2 months early, plus the broker told me that they did lots of work in the apartment after I left (but they place was a dump and needed much work before I moved in), so I'm worried that I'll get no money back. I paid $4000 up front for a 150-square-foot box.

When should I begin to take action? I was planning to write a letter inquiring of the status, and then keep following up. I can't see any NY laws pertaining to length of time landlords have to return deposits -- it just says 'within reasonable time.'

ALSO, I battled a mice problem for most of my 5 years there, plus a noisy neighbors with pets which our leases actually prohibited. So I'm also wondering if I can use this information in any way. I was killing mice with my fists right up until I moved out, so if they give me trouble with getting my deposits back, can I bring this issue up? I should have taken pictures of my mice stuck in glue traps! Other tenants had mice too. I just want my deposits back and am not sure what I have on my side to take action.

Any comments about returning security/last month rent deposits would be greatly appreciated.
tripleoxygen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments