TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Back to tenancy.

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Back to tenancy.

Postby tenantTomasz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:25 pm

In April 2004 I received a notice to terminate my tenancy. The reason was that we had a dog, which the RE agent said was OK, but the management disagreed on that and tried to kick us out. They also stopped collecting our rent. To make the long story short, the case is about to end in a settlement where we will be allowed to keep our dog under certain conditions. We have been working with the LL' attny on the final version of the settlement and were about to send it back. However, a couple of nasty surprises got us. We have received a past due notice for the rent and the letter from the collection combined with a three day notice demanding not only the rent but also charging fines and late fees. Our lease stipulates to the $25 per month late fee, but our attny explained to us that it should not apply to the situation where the LL/managing agent refuses to take our rent, which is the only option they are left with after issuing notice to terminate.
We feel even more violated since we have never been notified that the LL/agent now wants our rent. Also, I believe by law one should be presented with a bill before being slapped with a past due notice or referred to collection.
Any thoughts on that?
tenantTomasz

Return to NYC General Discussion