TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

loss of pool privileges ?

Moderator: TenantNet

loss of pool privileges ?

Postby ikatae » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:38 pm

We have a power hungry new rental manager who is loving throwing her weight around. Her new rule is that if your rent is not paid by the 5th, you and your family lose pool privileges. Is there a statute that allows that? Or is that an amentity that you are entitled to as long as you are a tenant? Can a tenant prorate their rent to a degree for every day they can't use the pool, or laundry mat or whatever? If she can take away pool privileges (with her smirly condescending smile..lol) what else can she take away? garbage removal? water? plowing?
ikatae

Re: loss of pool privileges ?

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:30 pm

Do you have a lease? Have you called DHCR to find out if your apartment is rent regulated?
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:15 am

I would look this manager in the eye with witnesses and a tape recorder and ask her what will she take away from you come winter time when the pool is closed? I would also tell her that you will report her managerial tactics to the owner of the complex you are living in and to the NYS Attorney General's Office. And I think your idea of negotiating a 'pro rating' in rent if you cease to use the laundry facilities would be more fun to hear...And one more point, is there anything in your lease which states that your rent must be paid no later than on the 5th of each month?
Iddabiddy35

Postby Downtown » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:18 am

See you posted in NY State...local regulations might difer.
Certainly worth a call to a local atty. and ask if this is legal. If not then call/write management company that this action violates section_____.
Be aware that chronic late payment can be grounds for non renewal.
Downtown

Postby BronxRenter » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:11 pm

Originally posted by ikatae:
We have a power hungry new rental manager who is loving throwing her weight around. Her new rule is that if your rent is not paid by the 5th, you and your family lose pool privileges. Is there a statute that allows that? Or is that an amentity that you are entitled to as long as you are a tenant? Can a tenant prorate their rent to a degree for every day they can't use the pool, or laundry mat or whatever? If she can take away pool privileges (with her smirly condescending smile..lol) what else can she take away? garbage removal? water? plowing?
Do you by any chance live in a Home Properties community?
BronxRenter

Postby ikatae » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:16 am

No - I don't think so.
ikatae

Return to NYS General Discussion