TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Multiple leasee apartment

Moderator: TenantNet

Multiple leasee apartment

Postby Broshious » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:32 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Broshious on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broshious

Re: Multiple leasee apartment

Postby Aubergine » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:47 pm

Sorry things didn't work out for you at the "sorority house." I suppose that could have had its moments.

What isn't clear from your question is what your lease says you have rented. Is it a lease for a room and use of common areas, or a lease for an apartment?

<small>[ December 17, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: aubergine. ]</small>
Aubergine

Postby Broshious » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:58 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Broshious on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broshious

Postby Aubergine » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:02 am

From what you have told us so far, the landlords up there in the godforsaken, snow-laden backwater you (hopefully temporarily) call home have their own peculiar way of operating. There's a good chance the local judges up there have their own way of doing things too. (The Village and Town Courts in Geneseo each have one judge who is a lawyer and one who is a non-lawyer, just to give you an idea.)

This landlord is probably accustomed to doing business in this way and so may every other landlord in town. Remember, everyone knows that the LL is going to be around there paying taxes and voting long after you leave town forever. Redemption may have to wait until you go on to a better place.
Aubergine

Postby Broshious » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:40 am

Deleted
Broshious

Postby Downtown » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:37 am

I would say that yes to more roommates. LL is clever in that only 1 lease with 4 signature lines.
Technically, the way the lease is written you are the tenant of this townhouse (I'm guessing that LL did it this way as although town might condone this group sharing situation....townhouse not zoned for boarding house/B&B. rooms to let). Is there any wording as to other tenants.
Verbally, I take it you were aware that other roommates could happen...if this was not acceptable why did you rent or just void lease.
Simplest solution is to find tenants that you know and like.
Downtown

Postby Broshious » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:20 pm

Deleted
Broshious

Postby Rodneystri » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:11 pm

When you rented this room were you aware that you were only renting a room? Were you aware that the LL wanted to rent the other rooms? Is your rent in the amount that lets you know that you are only renting a room? You stated that you knew that you were only renting a room and that the LL had a hard time finding other roomers. Have you talked to the LL about renting the whole house and what the rent would be? That might be and should be your first step to find out what your LL is thinking.
Rodneystri

Postby Broshious » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:30 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Broshious on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broshious

Postby Rodneystri » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:27 pm

Yes, the LL can still rent the other rooms if it is legal for him to do so. A LL can have a seperate lease for each person if they so desire, to me its excess paperwork but since each person can have their own rent amount and lease term it does make sense. But if I were you I would be looking into the fact if your bldg is zoned to used for rooms for rent.
Rodneystri

Return to NYS General Discussion