TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

removing high up blinds

Moderator: TenantNet

removing high up blinds

Postby mauricev » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47 pm

My landlord wants to replace my windows.

They are demanding that I remove the blinds for them. Except that some for some of the windows, they are way high up and I had them professionally installed. They were literally telling me to get a ladder and do it myself. Can they legally require me to remove blinds for them? (This is something the window installers can do themselves trivially. And after they're removed, I'd also have to put them back. Hell, I am not even sure they need to even completely remove them.)

This is Westchester.
mauricev

Re: removing high up blinds

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:13 pm

You don't say if you're rent stab or not. We'll assume you are not. You also don't say WHY the LL wants to replace the windows. If rent stab, it might mean a MCI rent increase if he does it for the entire building. MCI's aren't as lucrative as before 2019, but they can still get some rent increase (for RS units).

It would be helpful to understand if he's just doing it as he wants to make your life nicer (which is probably not the case), or if the local building or housing regulations require this, or if there's some sort of benefit or tax deduction.

Is he replacing the entire frames, casement and all, or just the glass? Newer windows are all one unit.

As for removing and reinstalling the blinds, are you disabled or elderly, and it would be a problem?

When painting, some LL's tell tenants to move all their furniture to the center of the room or in the hallway. If you have large or heavy furniture or are elderly or disabled, then that's a problem. Also painting is usually optional, not something the LL must do.

Here's the rub, if the LL or his agents move the blinds, what happens if they damage them? Do you sue? If they are your blinds, you really can't sue for lack of repairs. You could for damages, but that's a hassle and the LL might be covering his liability. But if you remove and re-install them, then the LL would have no liability, and there's no chance they would get damaged, at least by the LL. If you're able-bodied, I'd do it yourself.

If you want to resist the work altogether, well then, that's a different discussion.

On the window work, make sure they give you a date/time in writing, and that you are there to watch them. Workers have been known to lift things. Hide your valuables. If you can't be there get someone you can trust. DO NOT let them in without supervision. I would consider changing the locks if they have the keys.

See the access discussion in the forum's reference section (link above). Even if not RS, you can make sure you are there and they do it on your schedule. Have them send you a letter stating where, when, why and if they will repair any damages when they leave. I do this with my LL; they don't like it, but I'm usually reasonable in my demands.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby mauricev » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:03 pm

Thanks for your response.

From my vague understanding, the Feds required Westchester to offer some volume of low-rent housing and my complex is one. It's owned by my town.

The management is replacing all the windows in all the units in the complex (I’m not actually sure how the other tenants have dealt with this.). They claim they are doing it to make it more (temperature?) efficient, which would be nice since we pay our own utilities. I believe the entire frame is being replaced, but I'm not sure that is just the outside or the inside too (the window sills?). I have a feeling this means that simply reinstalling the blinds won't work since this could mean even the housing that holds the blinds is being removed too.

I have no problem with their replacing the windows, though it’s hassle to take down the regular room blinds, and I do have some furniture that can’t be easily moved and this may more problematic than having to hire a contractor to remove and re-install them the high-up blinds.
mauricev

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:26 pm

What is my town?

You give us only vague information, but if I were in your shoes, I'd find out who exactly the LL is, what regulation(s) the building might be subject to and more information on the window replacement. I know of one SRO that is now getting windows replaced (and the old ones were only about 5 years old), so something is fishy.

I would also look into whether you should be paying for your own utilities. Westchester likely has different rules, but in NYC a LL can't just simply put space heaters in each unit and then make the tenants pay for the heat/hot water. There has to be central heat unless the LL has a waiver.

TenantNet

Postby mauricev » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:53 am

Mamaroneck Housing Authority is my LL. The management (Midas) is new on the job. I've been in this apartment for 24 years.

There can't be central anything because each unit is physically independent.
mauricev

Postby TenantNet » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:48 am

The central heating is a NYC rule, as I said. Sounds like you're in public housing, section 8 or 9?

So you need to see the PH rules,

TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion