TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Desperate Straits

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Desperate Straits

Postby Keliel » Sat May 25, 2002 6:58 pm

A bit melo-dramatic, but true. I am quite behind in my rent due to VESID holding my vocational training hostage to their whim and desire as to what they beieve my appropriate employment should be over the last year.
I was given my new lease before being served a week after receiving the new lesae.
I can find NO Assistance in getting my arrears paid. I have checked with PA, they say I owe too much for them too help, I have treid for a tbi waiver, but I don't require constant care, I am not eligible fof SSDI, I don't have children. I am terrified of being homeless again,as I have no resources. NO family here or friends (i used up my markers with my freinds.)

and, I have to go for the first Court session Tuesday

If I can't find the rent monies for next month, I will be homeless. and I am terrified of being homeless again.

Any ideas as to what I can do? or whom I can contact for help?
Keliel
"I was where?" -St.Stupid
Keliel

Re: Desperate Straits

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Mon May 27, 2002 11:57 am

Do a google.com search on "eviction prevention new york", call Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, Red Cross, FEMA...
On Tuesday hopefully the Judge will be nice and you can explain the situation to hin and your LL.
Best of Luck!
PS- bring the letter that says you will be recieving/waiting for $ from VESID
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Postby Keliel » Wed May 29, 2002 9:52 pm

Thanks, for the google suggestion. and i erred, my court date is next week.
Keliel
Keliel

Postby Keliel » Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:46 pm

Update, or Tie me to the Tracks, Snidley!

Well, tomorrow (monday), I get the Order to vacate. I am awaiting Red Cross/FEMA assistance, for the arrears, but who knows... I am not holding my breath.

I will be homelss by the end of the month, and there are no resources for me to avail myself of - I've been down the list, Center for Independant Living can't help. There is no Public Housing available for te next several years.

and due to cause of my being disabled, I cannot be anywhere near drugs or drug users. so, shelters are out

:(

<small>[ June 23, 2002, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Keliel ]</small>
Keliel
Keliel

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:11 pm

Sorry things did not work out for you in Crt.
Not 100% sure but if you call Red Cross with the eviction order in hand, they may be able to place you in a shelter. I understand you are disabled and not allowed to be near Prior users (no drugs are allowed in any charity shelters!), but at this point it seems to be your only option, until you can get back on your feet...
Best of luck!
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues