TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease Renewal Letter... ?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease Renewal Letter... ?

Postby jnba » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:11 pm

Hello all,
I have my lease coming up for next month and want to renew my lease, I have contacted the building manager to setup an appointment as i am overseas working and on a very tight schedule so i would have to fly out sign my lease and get back to work, months before i was offered a job overseas which includesflying out and coming back home on a frequent basis i sent my lanlord a letter that I would be out on work related trips and my girlfriend would be in and out of my apartment, he did a whole scene there but anyway i did what i had to do(Get to work).
Now that my lease is up I dont think he has sent me the renewal letter or contract but he does want me to write him a letter regarding my renewal .. can someone guide me on this?? what should i include in there.

Thanks in advance,

jnba

<small>[ March 10, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Jnba ]</small>
Jnba
jnba

Re: Lease Renewal Letter... ?

Postby jot0n0 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:03 pm

Assuming your lease is NYC rent stabilized, the the owner must give written notice of renewal by mail or personal delivery not more than 150 days and not less than 90 days before the existing lease expires. The offer to renew the lease for New York City tenants must be on a Renewal Lease Form [DHCR form RTP-8]. The owner may charge the tenant a Rent Guidelines Board authorized increase based on the length of the renewal lease term selected by the tenant, either 1 or 2 year terms. For full text of your renewal rights go to:

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orafac4.htm

In your letter to owner, the only thing you should communicate to owner is your intention to renew your lease. Don't give owner any information on your work schedule or how frequent you are in your apartment. This can bite you in the ass later on.
jot0n0

Re: Lease Renewal Letter... ?

Postby jnba » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:35 pm

Thank You!

Hopefully all will be good, as i really cant afford the time for court or the money for a lawyer.

Jnba
Jnba
jnba

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments