TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Locked Out

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Locked Out

Postby chanl319 » Sat May 24, 2003 12:57 am

I've been living with my grandmother in her rent stabalized apartment for about 3 years now. My landlord and his spy, his wife, who owns a dry cleaning store on the same block, knew that I've been living there for a while. The landlord decides to change the locks for "safety" reasons (after 50 years of living in the building, there was never an issue of safety). And the landlord has given one key to my grandmother, who's on the lease, but not to me. Even though I heard that in a letter that went out to the tenants (that we never received), copies of the key would be charged $100 "deposit". Yet he refuses to give me a key or my father who is her guardian, so if she hurts herself, there is no way to get to her. We'd have to go through all the trouble of getting to the landlord. I know this is illegal and the landlord and his wife is avoiding/ignoring my requests for another key. What do I need to do? I would like to try to take over the lease as well, but I doubt if he'll let me do it or will make it very difficult for me. I know this is harassment, but I'm not sure what is the first step I should take. Please help!!!
chanl319

Re: Locked Out

Postby nycat » Sat May 24, 2003 2:32 am

Maybe a lawyer can post on this, but if you father is her legal guardian how can they legaly deny him a key? They seem to be opening themselves up to all kinds of liability.
nycat

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat May 24, 2003 4:31 pm

Is thre any reason why you can't make a copy at the local hardware store? Unless it's some kind of special key I doubt the LL has any obligation to provide everyone with a copy.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby chanl319 » Tue May 27, 2003 9:17 pm

Thanks everyone for replying so quickly. The key does say "do not duplicate" on it. And I know that shouldn't mean anything, but it's those multi lock keys where a credit card is issued to the owner and the codes to make the key is in that credit card. So the locksmith would need the credit card in order to make copies of the key. I wish i could find a shady locksmith who could make copies of the keys. Then I'd give i to everyone in my building. Any other suggestions? I made a phone call to Legal Aid and they said that since I'm not on welfare that I don't qualify, not sure if it's just that division or what. But I was told to call back June 2nd to speak with one of the lawyers. I"m opened to any suggestions. Thanks to everyone who reads this!
chanl319

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments