TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Installing a Refridgerator when you have none

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Installing a Refridgerator when you have none

Postby Lilly » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:07 pm

Long term rent stabilized tenant is supplied with old refrigerator by LL that is not clean or in proper working order. After many months and many written requests by tenant for new fridge tenant purchases and has delivered to her building a new refridgerator. Tenant is willing to pay the rent increase. LL, who lives in the building (820 West End Avenue in Manhattan) calls the police, who are now standing (all 4 police with the landlord) in front of the building as I write this and are preventing tenant from moving the fridge into the building. Even my LL says the tenant has therigh to the fridge.Any thoughts? Is this a police matter as the police from the 24th precinct say it is? Or is it the fact that this LL used to be an assistant DA? I can post her name is you wish.
Lilly

Re: Installing a Refridgerator when you have none

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:17 pm

I can't address the legalities, but it sounds like a hell of a story for the newsppaers. Since when is the NYC police department supposed to meddle in a civil dispute? Did the police say what basis they had for siding with the LL? This is a tenant, after all, bringing a refrigerator INTO, not out of, the building.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby mjr203 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:46 am

even if LL didn't want to replace her busted ass fridge tenant could buy her own fridge and get rid of the other one.

No crime in that. Seems like a VAST overstep of police authority nothing else withstanding.

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:55 am

Any time there's a Landlord - Tenant dispute that has thepotential for violence, the police can step in.

Whether or not the tenant has a right to a new refrigerator has been debated on this board more than once. Some say yes but others say it's altering the apartment. Either way, she still h as a right to some kind of working refrigerator and theidea that a former ADA would treat her tenants this way is disgusting. I hope somebody called the NY Post. :)
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby HardKnocks » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:10 am

It's always nice to know that our police force is busy tending to things that really threaten the well-being of the people involved.

I shudder to think what things happen in this city every day that warrant--but would never result in--four police officers showing up. But have a fridge delivered and we're on red alert. Amazing.
HardKnocks

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments