TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Exposed Gas Lines

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Exposed Gas Lines

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:53 pm

Last year we had a gas leak and my LL decided to install new lines. Most of the apartments in the building are rent stabilized so, In order to save on costs, the workers punched a hole in the floors and ceilings of each apartment with a jackhammer, and then ran the new lines through without enclosing them in any way. Several months later, they spackeled up the holes in the ceiling and walls, and they stuffed some newspaper in the floor and and covered it with concrete.

ConEd approved the lines but nobody actually inspected the apartments.

Now the LL is having contractors gut two apartments. I have no idea what they were doing last week but they were banging on the exposed gas pipes and the entire building was shaking. Maybe they were sanding the floor?

On Saturday they began work around 10 am - once again banging on the gas pipes. I'm two floor above them but the noise was unbearable and I was concerned they might cause another gas leak. When I got downstars, they were removing a window next to the gaslines and denied even touching the lines... as if I might have imagined it. And of course when I told the super, I got his usual non-response.

So my question is, are exposed gas pipes legal? I couldn't find anything online about this in particular. These are just bolted to the wall with a big ugly chrome bracket. The contractors didn't even bother to paint them. :confused:

<small>[ July 08, 2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments