TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Wrong rent stablized adjustment for 2001?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Wrong rent stablized adjustment for 2001?

Postby ajou » Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:18 am

Hi there-

Last year I signed a renewal with a 4% increase for a 1 year or a 6% increase for a 2 year. I opted for the 2 year this time. Now my question is, I was looking over last year's ADJUSTMENT FOR RENEWAL LEASES(Order #33), and saw that those were rates for leases "commencing on or after October 1, 2001 and on or before September 30, 2002", and mine started on July 15th, should I have gotten the rates from 2000(1 year 2% AND 2 years 4%)?? If so, is there any action I can take to be compensated/adjusted for that?

Thanks in advance!

<small>[ September 30, 2002, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: ajou ]</small>
ajou

Re: Wrong rent stablized adjustment for 2001?

Postby consigliere » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:47 am

Your rent for a two-year renewal should have been increased 4% -- not 6%.

If the landlord sent you a timely renewal offer -- 150 days to 90 days prior to the expiration of your lease in mid-July -- he should have offered you the option of a 2% increase for a one-year renewal and 4% for a two-year renewal. The Rent Guidelines Board didn't finalize the 4% and 6% increases until late June, which is well after a timely offer.

First, contact your landlord to adjust the increase retroactively and ongoing. If he won't make the change, file a complaint with DHCR for the landlord's failure to offer a proper and timely renewal.

consigliere

Re: Wrong rent stablized adjustment for 2001?

Postby ajou » Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:33 am

Thank you for your help consigliere...unfortuntely, they did not give me a timely renewal offer, now I realize why. They did not give me a renewal offer until August 1, 2001, which is when they have my lease commencing(horrible mgt company - since my original lease says the commencement date as July 15th). I am finding more and more issues as I investigate further into my lease - I don't believe they had me sign a rent stabilized lease, they ask me for 4 months rent up front(I did not know my unit was stablized until a year after I moved it), failure to offer a proper and timely renewal, wrong date on renewal, renewal copies were never mailed to me, boilers in apts do not pass safety regulations, etc...the list still goes on.

I am not sure how to proceed with these issues or who to go to for help :(
ajou

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments