TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

confused on whats going on

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

confused on whats going on

Postby braveone11 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:26 pm

Are They trying to elminate rent stablize/control apts forever?

or is this about the rent hike
5.5 for a one year lease
8.5 for a two year lease
braveone11

Re: confused on whats going on

Postby RealNYer » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:20 am

YES!!!!! READ THE PAPERS!!!

For every apartment that has the vacancy decontrol clause in place, that means when the rent hits $2000 (or less, they want to vote it to $1500), THAT APARTMENT CAN SKYROCKET.

This is another Republican tactic to kick the middle class square in the teeth. When this happened to Boston, homelessness TRIPLED. Their governor asked for rent control to be put back in place after 3 years.

Why do you think NY Real Estate is so hot?? Everything else has gone down in quality, this is not Giuliani land, but if you look at the real estate market, you wouldn't know it.
I live in a building with 1/2 the tenants age 55 or older. They are on a fixed income. Should we throw them into the street to accomodate yuppie bastards with their Cuisinarts? Gentrification does not make a neighborhood! The people who were born there do!
Landlords have made enough. I am from here, but I'm seriously looking at New Jersey, because I'm going to end up there in five years or less at the rate I'm going. I'm no millionaire. You think Pataki and Joe Bruno give a s***? As far as they're concerned, I should stop whining and use ALL my salary for rent. This is LUDICROUS! :mad:
Fed Up in Brooklyn
RealNYer

Postby too trusting » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:39 am

ITA RealNYer! If you want to live in NY you better have a lot of money and you won't have a problem. I'm thinking of leaving myself, only Florida. I'm an actress and I'm used to struggling but I can still do theatre, commercials, tv and movies in Florida with MUCH less struggle in the bank account.
too trusting

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:31 am

Good sentiments - but there is no such thing as a "vacancy decontrol clause"
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments