TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

illusory tenant

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

illusory tenant

Postby Coco » Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:21 pm

I have been involved, as a sub-tenant, in an illegal sublet/non-primary residence eviction for two years. The LL (new) made the mistake and signed a lease two years ago after sending a non-renewal letter to the tenant. I believe this, in conjucntion with the firing of their attorney, is the reason the LL removed the case from the calendar approximately 18 months ago. I have not heard from the LL nor have they excepted rent from me during this time. Rencently, I received a lease in the tenants name and no mention of non-renewal. I have occupied the apartment for 13 years and I believe I have a strong illusory tenant case. Should I pursue the case or wait until the LL re-opens the case? Should I sign my name to the lease and submit? And, how can I ascertain information on the rent history for other units in my building? (to show cause as to why the previous LL would overlook illegal sublets, implying collusion...1/3 of the long-term tenants in my 200 plus unit were ousted upon purchase of building.)
Coco

Re: illusory tenant

Postby MikeW » Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:34 pm

This may seem obvious, but get a lawyer. Illusary tenancy, especially in your case, which sounds more complex than most, is not something to be undertaken by amatures. The cost, risk, and potential reward, can be high.
MikeW

Re: illusory tenant

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:12 pm

I agree with Mike re getting a lawyer. Sure, you can do a lot of research here--and maybe come up with a right answer. But how will you know that it's right?
All you need is a consultation at this stage. Be sure it's a good, experienced tenant lawyer. It'll cost you a couple of hundred bucks but it is worth it. You can start by perusing the ads here.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments