TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

building sold

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

building sold

Postby SparklieGirl » Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:47 pm

hi... i live in a 6 apartment building that is stabilized. i just found out that my building has been sold. my lease is up december 1, 2002 and i haven't gotten a new lease from the old landlord. i also just realized that my landlord raised my rent too much last year. i'm not sure what i should do -- talk about the situation with the old landlord, wait until the new landlord enters the picture? does anyone have any insight/advice?
thanks,
sparkliegirl
SparklieGirl

Re: building sold

Postby consigliere » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:36 am

To protect yourself in case either your old landlord or your new landlord might claim that you didn't respond to an offer to renew your lease, you could file a complaint with DHCR about the failure to offer a proper and timely renewal lease. For more information, see Lease Renewal Disputes: A Guide, by Bill Rowen.

As far as the overcharge last year, which would continue and increase under a renewal lease, you have several options. Check out Complaining about a rent overcharge in New York City, by attorney Ken Hawco.
consigliere

Re: building sold

Postby Phil Cohen » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:56 pm

It doesn't matter if the building has changed hands--your rights are the same. You need to deal with whoever is the building's owner currently. He would be responsible for any refund.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments