TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

inheriting a rent stabilized apartment?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

inheriting a rent stabilized apartment?

Postby blackkat » Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:24 pm

Hi,

My grandparents have lived for thirty years in a rent stabilized apartment in Harlem. Recently, my grandfather passed away and my grandmother subsequently moved to be with my uncle in another state.

Their apartment is currently occupied by members of their church, in repayment for their help during my grandfather's illness.

What is involved for me to move into the apartment, to inherit the lease (which will expire at the end of 2002)? Currently, about 60% of the rent is paid by the Housing Authority.

In the building, there is a tenant organization that I was thinking of asking advice from.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
blackkat

Re: inheriting a rent stabilized apartment?

Postby Phil Cohen » Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:14 am

Sorry, I can't see any succession rights here. They are limited only to family members, significant others, etc., who are already living in the apartment. The fact that church people live there now actually works against you.
Also, since you said thirty years, this may be a rent-controlled apartment, and LLs fight like hell to keep relatives from succeeding to those!
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:11 am

I agree with Phil. Without knowing the details of how the Housing Authority paid %60 percent of the rent, I would imagine this would further document the fact that you didn't share in your grandparents' expenses.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby MikeW » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:15 am

Sounds like a section 8 subsidy. Now way in hell are you going to get that apartment.
MikeW

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments