TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Stabilization increase negotiable or mandatory?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Stabilization increase negotiable or mandatory?

Postby jwskatz » Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:09 am

I live in Brooklyn in a rent stabilized building. My lease is up in October. I am aware of the new 2% or 4% increases. I was wondering if this is legally madatory or if I would be able to negotiate with the landlord? My building is registed with DHRC and I get the paperwork every year. Does DHRC legally require the landlord to stick to the increase or since the housing market is slow and there are a lot of vacancies, can the landlord opt to not increase a tenants rent?

I hope this was clear.
jwskatz

Re: Stabilization increase negotiable or mandatory?

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:18 pm

jwskatz - You can always ask for a "Preferred Rent" If you're interested in discussing this you probably should post a new topic.

KH - you can file a Decreased Services complaint with DHCR. If they find in your favor the'll reduce the rent to the last legal amount in effect .

<small>[ July 10, 2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Re: Stabilization increase negotiable or mandatory?

Postby MikeW » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:53 pm

Yes, the LL can negotiate down. I did this back in the week market of the early '90s. However, LLs are loath to do this, and the market will likely have to be very weak and/or the apartment in question at market for the LL to not take the full allowable increase.
MikeW

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments