TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

illegal occupancy? what are my rights?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

illegal occupancy? what are my rights?

Postby jrose » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:41 pm

:mad: Apparently I have been totally scammed and am illegally occupying my apartment. It is in a co-op building in Alphabet City and I don't know my rights at all. The co-op board is threatening (understandably so) to take legal action against us as well as the other people involved. What do I do? I'm freaking out. Is there such a thing as a hardship stay in NYC? If so, how long is it for?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
jrose

Re: illegal occupancy? what are my rights?

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:08 pm

sorry, your post is too vague. Please give details so we can understand your situation. How is your occupancy illegal?
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Re: illegal occupancy? what are my rights?

Postby Mr Gray » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:15 am

I lived in a co-op building before and even though I don't know the specifics it seems that the "owner" rented you the apartment without notifying the other "owners" in the building and going through the necessary procedure.

Co-ops are the most difficult to get into as not only do the have their own set of "rules", etc...you normally have to get a board approval as well before you move in.

I would start looking for another place to live as it seems the co-op board will look to evict you.

Your only legal recourse I see would be against the "owner" of the unit you live in who let you rent it illegally. Need to get advice from others what to do on this and if it's even worth it.

Have you talked to the owner about this and what did they say? I'm not sure why he/she didn't go through the normal procedure on renting his place out unless the co-op just doesn't allow someone to rent. If the co-op is trying to evict you, I'd ask others here...but I would definitely stop paying rent. This isn't like a rent-stabalized apt or a rental unit...that person you are renting from owns the place! Hmmm...wierd situation.

Give us more specifics on how you rented the place...did you go through a broker?

Besides that I wouldn't worry about anything else than finding another place to live and you proabably have around 6 months??? living rent free in the meantime. All the responsibility seems to lie with the owner of the place.

Not sure if eviction procedings happen quicker for co-ops or not...but I don't think so.

Anyway...this is coming out free-form off the top of my head...so I'd find out more info for sure.

Good luck.
Advice only. Take what you want...throw away the rest. :)
Mr Gray

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments