TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Am I gonna get evicted?!

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Am I gonna get evicted?!

Postby babygrrl » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:56 pm

I am currently 1.5 months behind on my rent, b/c I lost my job. I am barely getting by on unemployment and I'm afraid I'll get evicted any day now. What's the procedure for getting evicted from a rent-stabilized apt? If my landlord takes me to court, can the judge give me time to find a job? :confused:
babygrrl

Re: Am I gonna get evicted?!

Postby rebeccajschmidt » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:41 am

Being evicted is quite a process, so you've still got time to resolve the situation. Have you received any notices yet? A late rent notice, 3 day notice, or a dispossess? If not, then your landlord has not yet taken action. If so, then you could soon be going to court. Since you aren't yet far behind in rent arrears, the problem can be solved. There are charities and public assistance to whom you may be able to appeal, but in most cases, they won't help until you've got a court date. My advice is to contact an organization such as my own that may be able to help you. Strycker's Bay Neighborhood Council has walk-in intake hours Monday through Wednesday from 9:00 to 10:30 am. And really try to find a job! Good luck.
rebeccajschmidt

Postby palmel4 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:48 am

If you are unemployed you can get food stamps. I don't know how much your rent is, or how much your other bills are, but I find it hard to believe you can't get by on unemployment. You may have to forgo having cable and a cell phone for a couple of months until things get back on track. Contact your local Human Resource Administration office. They may be able to pay your rent, get you food stamps, and other help. If your apartment is rent stablized they can't just kick you out. But start applying for help right away, and best of luck finding a new job.
palmel4

Postby Lilly » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:21 pm

Get a temporary roommate as soon as possible. You can post an ad or look at ads from people looking for rooms/shares on Craigslist (NY) or Arilslist
Lilly

Postby Lilly » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:23 pm

sorry, that's Aprilslist.com
Lilly

Postby babygrrl » Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:01 pm

I haven't gotten any notices yet, but if I did get a notice, how long would I have from then?

My rent is $800 & I get $150/week.

Thanks for the advice. A temporary roommate is a possibility.
babygrrl

Postby MikeW » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:52 pm

You could force the LL to go to court and hold it up a couple of months. Don't ignore any notices though. You have to fight the eviction in order to delay it.

However, FWIW, if the LL files for an eviction proceeding against you, it goes into the public record. This will end up in the computers of companies that make this info available to LLs. If you want to rent an apt in the future this will make it very hard. If you're not going to be able to stay, I'd try to make an accomodation to the LL to leave on good terms (or at least without him filing a court case against you).
MikeW

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments