TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

leak repair? Reasonable time?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

leak repair? Reasonable time?

Postby renterbl » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:03 pm

On Friday, water started coming out of the wall above the windows of my rent-stabilized studio apartment...dripping, then somewhat cascading, on to my windowsill. The super wanted to caulk it, but it was too wet (he tried anyway). As it was pouring out he said he couldn't find the source of the leak. His wife told me it was the wind (We've had wind before w/no leak). I didn't go to work (work nights) for fear of a flood (they made funnels out of tarp that didn't quite work) Then, a guy came yesterday and caulked the outside of the building above my windows. Now it's leaking again. The super seems to think this is not a big deal, and the LL was under the impression that I could just put towels down and they'd paint later. There is so much water that the towels would be saturdated in 1/2 hour. I'm not staying home from work again for this. Aren't they supposed to find the source, and how long before I should make an official complaint? My lease is up 12/31 but I'm not going to live like this until then. I can't even catch all of the water (now a slow drip coming out of numberous spots). And never mind the mold. I'm waiting for the guy to come back now but he hasn't shown yet...and if he wants to caulk again I'm going to have a major breakdown.
renterbl

Re: leak repair? Reasonable time?

Postby Downstairs Neigbor » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:43 pm

Sounds pretty serious. Your LL may want to be concerned with any property damage claims you make.

Consider contacting the Department of Housing office for Your Borough and requesting that an inspection be done. You could notify your LL that you have scheduled a State sponsored inspection of the leak for whatever-date (by certified letter, of course). That may inspire them to take action. If not, the results of the inspection may force them to take action.

You may be able to find more information on Housing NYC .
Don't say "Downstairs Neighbor told me so." Contact a lawyer.
Downstairs Neigbor

Postby ChrisG » Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:04 pm

sound slike what's been happening at my place. my LL had somebody take a look at it and has decided that the back wall of my building needs to be repointed. this may very well be what's wrong with your apartment (especially if it's an older building). it seems to me that if you never had a leak in the past and now it is suddenly coming in and getting worse, a little caulk is not gonna do the job.

try to get it through their skulls that this sort of thing isn't just about a tennat's right to a nonleaky apartment, this is just gonna get worse and will end up being very expensive for the owner if he doesn't take action soon.
ChrisG

Postby renterbl » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:25 pm

Thanks! They are actually going to send out a masonry contractor to find the source of the leak. In the meantime I have huge tarps configured as funnels, allowing water to run into buckets. What I'm worried about now is toxic mold. I already smell it.
renterbl

Postby renterbl » Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:50 pm

Yes, and I'm still waiting for this thing to be fixed. We had a nice dry week in which someone could have taken care of this, and a roofer is supposed to inspect the brick today. I'm not optimistic about this person showing up. It's going to rain.
renterbl

Postby cmr3923 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:40 pm

I have a similar problem - I live on the top floor and my ceiling started leaking the first week in September. I reported it right away and the Super admitted that he had been telling the LL that the roof needed to be repaired.
I was assured it would be fixed and then they would come in and repair my ceiling.
I waited 2 wks and contacted the LL - only to be told that they were short staffed and once they finished renovating an apartment (an empty apartment!) they would start on the roof.
Finally, after several rain storms and more damage to my apartment - the work was completed - 7 WEEKS after my first phone call.

My LL has not reimbursed me for expenses incurred due to damage (only @ $128) and has not addressed my request for further compensation.

I have filed complaints to the DHCR but have only received an acknowledgement from them.

In the meantime, I have learned that in 1998, they charged a 35% vacancy increase (I moved in in 2001) and the DHCR has no documentation to support such an increase. I have filed complaint to DHCR and written to LL inquiring about this but - still no reply.

I have withheld October rent until this is resolved but now am receiving late notices from LL - notices which ignore my inquiries addressed to them.

Any advice? I feel I'm at the mercy of my LL and see no resolution to this.
cmr3923

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments