TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

slumlord at it again

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

slumlord at it again

Postby Bey » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:50 pm

Hey everyone. I posted here before and got great advice so here goes....
I live in a rent controlled apt with my parents. Filed a harrassment form with DHCR because the a**hole made a ridiculous demand that we move because he was 'remodeling' the building. I filed a harrassment form because nothing he was doing was legal. We were summoned to a DHCR conference in which he was read the riot act; he rescinded the letter telling us we had to move.

So here is the thing...he changed the lock to the front door and made 'do not duplicate' keys. I attempted to duplicate them but they have grooves on the keys, not on the edges; you need a card and code to duplicate them. Then the jerk doesn't give a key to the mailman, so our mail is on top of the mailboxes instead of in them. I suspect he is going through our mail....for what I do not know.

Anyhow, I got a PO Box and am having all of our mail forwarded there. Should I file another harrassment form? I am sooooooooooo sick and tired of this dude. Is it worth it to file another form or should we call it a day until he does something else?
Bey

Re: slumlord at it again

Postby Chimera » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:30 pm

Changing the locks on the doors and providing you with 'do not duplicate' keys is not likely to be considered harassment.
Chimera

Postby jot0n0 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:03 am

Perhaps not harassment complant, but can try for Rent Reductions Due to Decreased Services compliant.

DHCR Fact Sheet #14
jot0n0

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:01 pm

I'd duggest you begin by speaking to a DHCR counselor. If the LL didn't provide you with any keys this might be considered "constructive eviction." If he provided your family with a single key, knowing there's a family living in the apartment, he probably has to make some provisions.

Interfering with the mail is a federal offense so you might want to check with the Postal Service on that one.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby ig0234 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:57 am

did he provide you with enough keys for all the occupants of the apartment?? If you cant duplicate the key, he'd have do give you a minimum of copies as per the amount of occupants, since you cant go to copy them yourself.

P.S. there is a way to copy those keys :eek: ... be more specific on what company they are...
ig0234

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments