TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

noise from store below

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

noise from store below

Postby maxbennie » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:09 pm

the store below my apt. is playing music until 4 am. they blast it! when i asked the manager to lower it, he said "sue me." the police have only asked them to turn it down. what can i do? btw- my landlords are as responsive as the store owner-very nasty folks. i recently took them to court and won 2 mnths free rent, they are horribly negligent.
HELP!!
maxbennie

Re: noise from store below

Postby HAJ77 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:21 pm

Another person enjoying the charm of living in the Village. :roll: I would suggest calling the Quality of Life hotline (888 677-5433), and having anyone else in the building call as well. If you have enough people frequently calling, the city is more likely to do something. Besides that, it might get into a habability issue since you aren't getting full use of your apartment. Above all, you need to get more people involved.
HAJ77

Postby maxbennie » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:52 pm

the store is under my apt. and my neighbor's apt. he's in his 80's and hard of hearing. so he might be willing to make a call or two, but this doesn't effect him.
maxbennie

Postby Phil Cohen » Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:20 pm

You should also call or visit the local precinct. This is one neighbor complaint that might get results, as the police or EPA will sometimes send over someone with a meter to check on noise levels. They won't do this with "noisy neighbor" problems but they will do it with noisy commercial establishments.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby maxbennie » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:16 am

phil- thanks, did that last night. the tattoo parlor shut the door, but saw the cop, so once he left it was music hell for me. i called back and asked them to run the test from my apt. (it was as if i had the radio on full blast with all the music!) and they could not. meanwhile, i got no sleep. HELP!!
maxbennie

Postby dealing3000 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:07 am

FYI, sounds like it's time for war. When people do not respect your rights, it IS time to do something about it. Crazy glue in ALL the locks, Rat posion for any pets that may be around, wouldn't it be just awful to have a really bad water leak right over some of his expensive equipment, that would be a real tragedy. Revenge is a dish best served cold. You have power too, use it wisely.
dealing3000

Postby lappert » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:43 am

That stuff might be nice to think about, but one should not do any of that; that stuff comes back to you.
lappert

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments