TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

termites

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

termites

Postby alice » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:32 pm

I moved into a ground floor apartment with a yard area in Feb. When the weather started to get warmer, I noticed winged insects crawling up my bedroom walls on the side of the yard. Apparently the yard and parts of the basement were infested with termites. The landlord sent a termite exterminator in April, the exterminator said that several actions needed to be done to really get rid of them, they include cutting a tree down in the yard, removing some rotted out beams in the basement and changing some fencing in the yard where termites were living. A month after the extermination, I notice that termites again started to crawl into my apartment from the floor boards and from the door to the yard. The landlord sent the exterminator again. The exterminator again told me that unless the actions above are done, the termites would still be around. To this date, none of those steps have been done, I dont believe the landlord intends to do any and I still have termites. I sent a certified return receipt letter letting the landlord know of the situation. If he still continues to ignore my requests, what other recourse do I have?
alice

Re: termites

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:08 pm

Lots of things -- complaints to the city authorities and health dept., maybe repair and deduct. What gets me is that termites are the LL's problem much more than they are yours. They are hugely damaging to HIS building!
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments