TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL refusal of rent payment

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

LL refusal of rent payment

Postby Coco » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:56 am

I have been involved in an illegal sublet case for two years. The LL has refused to accept rent during this time. Intially, LL refused payment, even from primary tenant before lease expired. Then we went to court and I, the sub-tenant, was ordered to pay two months out of five months due. I delivered payment, LL sent payment back one month later, fired his attorney and the case has been on hold ever since. Over the course of the two years LL has refused me, in their words, "any tenant rights"--no repairs, no window bars, I have a pre-schooler, even blocks all deliveries and cable service. Will I be responsible for payment-in-full of all rent owed if I succeed in securing a lease in my name?
Coco

Re: LL refusal of rent payment

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:36 am

Whether or not your obligated to pay the entirely amount is something that can only be determined by the court. If they decide you are a legal tenant, most likely, they'll expect you to pay the rent, minus any possibe abatements for things like lack of services during this time.

In the meantime, don't spend the rent money and keep copies of whatever documentation you can.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments