TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

trying to keep my home

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

trying to keep my home

Postby casper » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:35 pm

i'm currently in a rent control apt since 1994 with my godmother. household bills and rent are paid from our joint checking acct. my godmother is no longer in the apt with me. the landlords want me to leave (1) what are my options (2) if the apt gets decontrolled, will it go to rent stabilized (3) how much can they charge for the apt now (how is this amt. determined) (4) how can i keep the apt.?
thanks in advanced!
casper

Re: trying to keep my home

Postby nycat » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:47 pm

You should contact an attorney that specializes in epresenting tenants if you want to keep the apartment. There are several that advertise on this board.

A godparent is not a family member so you will have to prove a special relationship to get succession rights. If the apartment is vacated then the landlord will probably perform the upgrades required to get it to market rate, especially if it could easily rent for more than $2000. Obviously, if that happens he will be able to charge whatever he wants.
nycat

Postby Bey » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:53 pm

Call or email them. They were very helpful to me and dealt solely with Rent Control issues. I received a response to my email within 2 days!

Queens Rent Office
Gertz Plaza
92-31 Union Hall Street
Jamaica, New York 11433
Phone: 718-739-6400
Owner/Tenant (rent stabilized or rent control) matters: - RentInfo@dhcr.state.ny.us
Bey

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:17 pm

Be careful about the DHCR rent line, which often provides info that is just plain wrong. Best to invest in a good tenant lawyer. You've lived there a long time and may have a good crack at keeping the apt. if handled properly.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments