TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

My LL might be STEALING from me!

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

My LL might be STEALING from me!

Postby Downstairs Neigbor » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:28 pm

I think my LL is stealing from me.

Issue 1: I think the hall and basement electricity is hooked in to my apartment. I was told by the other tenants that the LL had an arrangement with the former tenant (FT) that the LL would pay the FT for the hall electric. The FT got sick of it and demanded that the LL's electric be run to a separate meter. Then FT moved out. I have some additional research to do on this, but do any of you have advice on how I should proceed if I confirm my suspicions?

Issue 2: I ran a rental history on my apartment. I believe that the amount the LL is claiming as the FT's rent is inflated by as much as 80%. Is there any way for me to confirm what my LL is claiming on the rental history? This could mean that I am being significantly overcharged for my Rent Stabalized apartment.

Any other advice that you want to lob in my general direction is welcome.
Don't say "Downstairs Neighbor told me so." Contact a lawyer.
Downstairs Neigbor

Re: My LL might be STEALING from me!

Postby Lilly » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:44 pm

turn off or unplug everything in you apartment; fridge, clock radio, cable converter box, absolutely everything. Then check to see if the electric meter is still running. If it is, then you have yor answer.
Lilly

Postby Downstairs Neigbor » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:42 pm

No, no, I already know that. My question was, what do I do next? Call the police? Should I sue them? Try to get a reduction in rent? How do I get back the money I have already spent on THEIR electricity?
Don't say "Downstairs Neighbor told me so." Contact a lawyer.
Downstairs Neigbor

Postby Mariooch » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:56 pm

Call Consolidated Edison and advise them that someone is plugged into your electric meter. I think this is called "diversion of service" They will send someone to in inspect and you can show the diversion. I'm not sure what Con Ed does, but I know its something...also not sure of implications with DHCR or Housing Court.
Mariooch

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:19 am

Look into filing a criminal complaint as well--with the local DA's office, that is.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby geoffnet7 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:16 pm

Regarding the overcharge, does the registration reflect what you pay or close to it? (I assume the LL hasn't yet registered what you pay if you're a new tenant). What makes you think it's suspect? The former tenant's rent should be about what you pay minus 20% or so (the LL would have added on a vacancy increase when you moved in which generally is around 20% depending on circumstances). In any case I need more info before I can advise you.
geoffnet7

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments