TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Please Help! Trying to Move out Early but LL Not Respond

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Please Help! Trying to Move out Early but LL Not Respond

Postby mindolina » Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:00 pm

Hi all:

Here's the story. I signed a renewal lease in August on my rent-stab. apartment, but a month ago fell upon an INCREDIBLE deal for a place and applied, and was accepted! I want to move ASAP, and vacate my apartment as of October 31. I faxed my LL a letter to this effect on 10/9, informing him of my desire to vacate and refer applicants to re-rent the place ASAP.

In the meantime I showed the apartment, and had 20 people interested. I sent two people, great candidates, go in to my management office and apply to re-rent the place last Friday. So what's the problem? A WEEK from them applying, I have had ZERO response from my Landlord. His minion told me I'd hear back re. the applicants this past Friday, and though I called and called and even went in in person on Friday morning, they never got back to me. I have to go and sign my new lease ASAP or I'll lose out for sure. I can't believe I've been able to stall this long, frankly.

Anyway, can someone please help me? I'm terrified of going and signing the new lease, and then being stuck with paying two rents (which I obviously can't afford to do anyway, so that can't happen). I'm doing all I can to help get this place re-rented, but at this rate, with my LL being so unresponsive, I'll never get it re-rented in time for 11/1! Is there any way I can just "get out" -- let them keep my security deposit, and be considered free after that? I doubt it. SO confused and freaked. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Min
mindolina

Re: Please Help! Trying to Move out Early but LL Not Respond

Postby consigliere » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:44 am

You should check out DHCR Fact Sheet #7 - Sublets, Assignments and Illusory Tenancies for the procedures and time frames involved in assigning or subletting.

Unfortunately the procedures are more involved and the times frames are longer than you'd like.  

consigliere

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments