TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Early Termination Fees!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Early Termination Fees!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby mbgolds » Fri May 30, 2003 5:59 pm

There is no statement of a fee for requesting an early termination on my lease. I recently requested for a termination date one month prior to the original date. I received the agreement and they are requesting a fee equal to 1 months rent. Hence, it would cost the same for me to leave the apartment sitting empty and they would be able to rent it to a new tenant, especially since I will actually be moving out June 20th. That would give them 10 days between when I would reside in the apartment and when the next tenant would move in.

Is it reasonable to ask for a lower fee? How much lower? Since they don't incur fees such as credit checks and brokerage fees, the only fees they have are those due to paperwork.

Please help me!
mbgolds

Re: Early Termination Fees!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Chimera » Fri May 30, 2003 7:06 pm

When you signed your lease, you were agreeing to pay the monthly rent on your apartment for the entire year (or two,) so you really shouldn't be surprised at the one-month fee. Charging you an 'early termination' fee equal to the cost of one month is sort of funny, because they are essentially saying that you may not break your lease. It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for you to request a lower fee, and perhaps offer them something in exchange for their cooperation. You could very nicely explain that you cannot afford the entire fee and ask them if they could lower it. Or perhaps you could work out a deal in which you allow them to show the apartment while you are staying there, and if they find a new tenant to move in by July 1, you will pay a much lower fee, or no fee at all. You might be flat out denied, but if you go about this in a nice and non-confrontational manner you stand a decent shot. It's worth a try -- good luck.
Chimera

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments