TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Screens for windows/window guards

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Screens for windows/window guards

Postby queenswoman » Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:33 am

I just moved into an apartment(rent stabilized bldg) about a week ago and I noticed that none of the windows have any screens or window guards. What are the legal requirements for this anyway?
queenswoman

Re: Screens for windows/window guards

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:44 pm

Each year I get a pre-printed form from my LL stating twindow guards are required if there's a child under a certain age (10 ?) living in the apartment, or if the tenant requests them.

After workmen removed the original window guards I returned the form, asking to have new ones installed. My LL ignored my request.

When I contacted the city I was told the LL is only required to provide them if there's a child living in the apartment.- not simply because the tenant requests them. I believe the LL can charge about $15 per window guard to cover his costs.

I guess this is one of those laws no one takes all that seriously until after some tragedy happens. For the same, or not much more money, you could probably pick up window guards at Home Depot and install them yourself.

As far as I know, unless window screens are already installed, they're the responsibility of the tenant.

<small>[ April 20, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Re: Screens for windows/window guards

Postby TenantNet » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:22 pm

There are several types of window guards. They type designed to protect children (which Cranky was talking about) are required by law as he describes. Our understanding is that this is at no cost to the tenant, but it does beg the question as to how to enforce it. Contact HPD on that. Other guards or 'gates' covering the entire window are for security. LL is not under requirement unless previously provided as a service in a rent regulated unit. They must comply with regulations (FDNY approved). Same for screens, if previously provided but the poster might wish to investigate DHCR decisions on tenant.net for that. If you can prove they were provided (maybe to a former tenant) on or after the base date, you might have a case.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments