TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Permits for improvements

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Permits for improvements

Postby goldbourbon » Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:00 pm

Hi,

I have been reading alot on this board regarding capital improvements. My question is this:

If my landlord made improvements to my rent-stabilized apartment (before I moved in), did he need a permit to do the improvements? I am talking about electrical, plastering and plumbing work. As well, if he did NOT get the required permits for the improvements, shouldn't the expenses associated with these improvements not be included in the amount used to calculate the MCI increase to the apartment?

If anyone has any info, or links that point to this answer, that would be great.

Thanks,
Lydia
goldbourbon

Re: Permits for improvements

Postby Inaru » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:15 pm

I work for an expediting co., so I know for a fact that your landlord does not need a permit if he was doing repairs, which includes replacing w/new plumbing fixtures but if he is installing something totally new which would need new plumbing lines then yes he needs a permit. I dont know what exactly he did so I can not give you a straight answer. Also he does not need permits for plastering, painting etc.
Inaru

Re: Permits for improvements

Postby goldbourbon » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info, I figure if he was doing repairs that wouldn't count as an "improvement" so that would help me.
goldbourbon

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments