TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

DHCR inaction

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

DHCR inaction

Postby Phil Cohen » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:15 am

I filed a PAR about a year ago, and so far--nothing. No action--that I can understand. But I haven't gotten copies of the landlord's answer, which I presume he's filed by now.

I've written a couple of letters to the DHCR, every few months, pointing out this situation and asking for copies of the LL's response. Nothing.

Have I done everything I can do? Should I file an FOI request for the LL filings? Or just sit back and wait and, if my PAR is denied, use the failure to provide me with LL filings as grounds for a court appeal (which I am likely to file anyway, if I lose, as the bucks at stake are large and the DHCR errors enormous)?

Any thoughts on this appreciated. Thanks.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Re: DHCR inaction

Postby susan25 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:35 pm

I am not an attorney, but I feel your pain. I wasted a lot of time trying to get the DHCR to help me with a landlord harrassment problem. Have you tried calling them and demanding to speak to someone high up ? Also be careful what you say because many people at the DHCR are landlord-kissing-phonies who will blab everything you say to the landlord. There is an article on this website about the same type of problem you are having, this is the link
http://www.tenant.net/Alerts/articles/complaining.html
susan25

Postby Phil Cohen » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:21 pm

Well, I suppose I could call and ask to speak to the supervisor in charge of PARs. The article did not apply to my situation. Any other suggestions? (I provide a lot of advice... would be nice to get a little help now and then!)
Phil Cohen

Postby susan25 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:50 pm

Sorry that link didn't help. Have you checked out the DHCR website fact sheets? This is the link to their fact sheet about PARS, it also has a link to their rent infoline and links to some other forms you might be able to use

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orafac16.htm

Also, I have a list of tenant help groups that offer free advice, if you dont mind saying what borough you are in I can suggest something
susan25

Postby Phil Cohen » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:38 am

Thanks, Sue, but a fact sheet on overcharges doesn't deal with the DHCR not complying with its own procedures. And yes, I know there are tenant clinics out there. I hate to sound grouchy, but I am a veteran tenant organizer and I was already aware of that.

My purpose in posting this question was to see if there is anyone out there who has been through the DHCR meatgrinder and may have a suggestion on this very specific issue. It's funny--I respond to maybe 300 questions a year, but when I post a question myself (maybe once every other year) I get nuthin.
Phil Cohen

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:26 am

Originally posted by Phil:
Well, I suppose I could call and ask to speak to the supervisor in charge of PARs. The article did not apply to my situation. Any other suggestions? (I provide a lot of advice... would be nice to get a little help now and then!)
Calling never hurts. I filed two complaints on the same day that went to mediation, and supposedly were forwarded to get docketed on the same day too.

I got a response on one complaint, but the other got lost for months. Once I called to see why I hadn't heard, they promised to check into it, and eventually I did get a response.

Just tell them you want to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail.

Good Luck
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments