TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Confused about lease renewal standards.

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Confused about lease renewal standards.

Postby asdfghjkl » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:11 pm

This is the last month on my lease. Last week, I received notice that I owed my landlord money for an annual A/C deposit and that they are going to get their lawyers after me if I don't pay. I responded that I don't see why I should have to pay for another year of A/C until that year begins, and by the way - when am I going to see a lease renewal? Today, I received a letter saying I am not going to receive a renewal and I have to be out by the end of the month. They have not returned most of my calls in the past and this letter is the first notice I received. The end of the month is 13 days away. Can they do this on such short notice? And why are they saying I owe them money for next year while they are kicking me out at the same time? I feel like I'm getting played and I don't know the rules. Anyone have some advise? I don't really like living in my building, but I'm not financially ready for another move right now. I've been trying to cooperate with the management, but it seems like they just don't want me here.

J
asdfghjkl

Re: Confused about lease renewal standards.

Postby asdfghjkl » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:17 pm

BTW - this is not a RS apartment. I swear I was in the non-RS group when posting.
asdfghjkl

Postby MikeW » Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:05 pm

They can tell you they want you out by the end of the month, but they can't force you out without getting a formal eviction. They also need to give you 30 days written notice before filing for an eviction. However, since you have a lease, and it wasn't renewed, the fact the lease is expiring may be considered de facto written notice. I'm not sure of it, but you could get a notice of a holdover proceeding the day you're lease runs out.
MikeW

Postby asdfghjkl » Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:56 pm

Thanks...

This doesn't look good. Is it possible to live anywhere in New York in peace?
asdfghjkl

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments