TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can my rent be reduced?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Can my rent be reduced?

Postby lkassof » Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:58 pm

I moved into my apartment as a sublettor 3+ years ago. This sublet was illegal which I discovered when the landlord was looking for her tenant. So, the landlord broke the lease with the old tenant, and signed a new, one year lease with me for $1050. I know that the previous tenant's rent was $850. Since then I signed a two year lease, and now my lease is up for renewal again.

I want to know if the inital increase was legal. Does 9 NYCRR § 2522.8 apply? I think that she should have only raised the rent 20% of $850 - (4% of $805 - 2% of $850), that is if I am reading the statute correctly and it applies to me. That would leave me at $1003.

Does anyone know if this is correct? And how I should go about implementing the reduction?

Thanks!
lkassof

Re: Can my rent be reduced?

Postby consigliere » Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:26 am

There is an 18% increase for a one-year vacancy lease, unless there hasn't been a vacancy increase for at least eight years.

Did the landlord make any improvements to the apartment when you signed the vacancy lease?

For what to do about a possible overcharge, see Complaining about a rent overcharge in New York City, by attorney Ken Hawco.

consigliere

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments