TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can any one recommend a tenant lawyer?

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Can any one recommend a tenant lawyer?

Postby Strad » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:24 pm

Does anyone recommend Mcguire & Zekaria AAL? Some one passed their names to me.

My LL sent me a lease renewal (R.S apt) switched my apartment number without notifying me. I pointed out the discrepency and asked them to corrected it, they ignored. First step, I brought this to DHCR's Mediation Program, again, my LL ignored to the Mediation, then it became a formal complaint, DHCR, got a Docket Number on file. During the Mediation, I had spoken to DHCR's Director Mr. M, he suggested that if the lease is incorrect, I should not sign, just pay the same rent till the renewal lease is being corrected. This was asked to put down in writting as I reuested, letter sent to both LL and I. After a couple of month later, DHCR's Determination stated that "A lease renewal offer must be based on the same terms and conditions as the expiring lease'. Therefore, ordered LL to amend the lease renewal with that detail.
Now my LL asked me to pay him back the differences for the months I stayed with the previous rent, or he will sue me.
By sueing me if he wins, he will charge me with all the fees, atterny's fees, late fees.
By just surrender the balance, it means I was wrong, then he will sure follow up with the late fees $5, counting from July till now.

Now I have either to defend myself, or fight back.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Strad
Strad

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:36 pm

It's no longer McGuire & Zekaria. It's Sokolski & Zekaria. They -- along with a number of other tenant law firms -- advertise here. Just reload the page and a new banner should appear.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

tenant attorney

Postby hattier » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:03 am

call **********. he only handles tenants. his homepage is nothing special but if you look up the cases he has done, you will be impressed.
hattier

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 am

The poster failed to mention he/she works for the attorney that was mentioned. It's unfair to those tenant attorneys who do pay to advertise on the site, and it violates our rules.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Housing Court - NYC