Where tenants can seek help and help others

Changes in Housing Court procedures

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Changes in Housing Court procedures

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:41 am

According to information we've received, effective 11/1/07, citywide:

1. New answer forms at court houses

a. Nobody can answer for an individual other than themselves with three exceptions: military service, incarceration, hospitalization

b. If multiple names on Petition person answering will be given a second form for other tenant to fill out and return to the court

2. Judges are being told NOT to let anyone sign a stip on behalf of anyone other than themselves

3. Judges are being told NOT to give a default in the part for an individual who did not file an answer with the court, and to get a default against them you will need to file a non-military [form].

4. The court will accept as a non-military for a non-answering tenant, the answering tenant's claim in a written stipulation that they have personal knowledge that no other named party is in the military or dependent on the military.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby dirae » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:18 pm

TN, i apologize for what might seem like a dumb question, but does this apply to only pro se cases or to cases that have legal representation, too?
dirae

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:46 pm

From what I had heard, it applies to all cases. While we all know significant numbers of HC judges are dismissive of pro se tenants, I don't think they would admit so publicly.

TenantNet

Postby jkgal » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14 am

Could you comment on a judge ruling against a tenant (pro-se) who'd requested an adjournment due to another court matter (the adjournment was requested weeks in advance of the h/c date but denied on the day of h/court, since tenant wasn't there to defend themselves, presumably). That's very, very dismissive and very damaging to a tenant. How standard is this? Thanks in advance.....
jkgal

Postby elderlytenant » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:46 am

May be dumb question or may be not. However, does this mean that a tenant who is being sued in housing court may not be represented just by his lawyer and must always be present personally at the hearing?
elderlytenant

Postby TenantNet » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:32 am

I'm sure just the lawyer is OK, but if you have a lawyer, then ask. I don't want to try to interpret these regs ... just passing them on.

TenantNet

Postby elderlytenant » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:41 am

TennentNet:

Thanks. I understand.

When a situation arises and I need a lawyer, he would know the answer. I believe what the regs say is that the answer must be personally signed and/or presented by the respondent. Whether the lawyer can sign my answer under Power of Attorney, the lawyer would know or he would obtain my signature. No one else other than a lawyer can present my answer (signed or unsigned) except in situation of military service, hospitalization or incarceration.
elderlytenant

Postby TenantNet » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:49 am

What they mean is that if a tenant is out of town (for whatever reason except those stated), the tenant's next-door neighbor can't appear as a favor for the tenant. HC cases are usually adjourned the first time on, but this raises question of defaults if a tenant is out of town, if the tenant doesn't even know about the case and so on. If I hear more on this, I'll post it.

TenantNet

Return to Housing Court - NYC