TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Is the SSN still applicable?

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Is the SSN still applicable?

Postby georgearc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi,

While I was in the USA in 2002 on an H1B visa, I applied for and received a Social Security number. I stayed in the US for 4 months and moved on to India. Is the SSN still valid and can I use it for any specific requirement in the United States?
Thanks in advance.
georgearc

Postby TenantNet » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:06 pm

We're not SSN experts here .... this is a tenants' rights forum. Suggest you contact the US Social Security Administration. But for tenants' rights, you may be required to give your SSN to a potential landlord as part of the application process, but you do not have to give it to them later on a renewal. However, you might have to give it to a bank holding your rental deposit as part of backup withholding.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby queensborough » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:13 pm

I don't believe that the Social Security Administration gives out temporary SS#'s, but you should check with them to be sure.
queensborough

Postby jkgal » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:29 pm

Greetings,

Maybe the INS? If you previously applied for a Visa, you'd presumably be able to speak with that office to check. Thanks, TenantNet for the information, since it's good to know what a LL is allowed to have, personal-information wise.
jkgal

Return to Housing Court - NYC